POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I miss this : Re: I miss this Server Time
11 Oct 2024 19:16:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I miss this
From: Darren New
Date: 29 Oct 2007 23:39:57
Message: <4726b59d$1@news.povray.org>
Tim Cook wrote:
> Otherwise we'd just call everything 'energy'.

Those who understand how it works *do* call everything "energy". Before
people understood what "energy" is, they called different aspects of the
same thing "energy".  Like asking whether the elephant is a rope, or a
tree, or a wall.

People used to think width != height != length != duration, too, but
that isn't right either, and they're all aspects of the same thing.
That's why they call it "spacetime" instead of "space" and "time".

Asking "can mass be converted to different kinds of energy" is like
asking "can different kinds of distances be converted to other kinds of
distances?"

>  Energy is the set of all numbers, mass is the set of all positive
> integers, light is the set of all negative primes, and so forth.

No. That's what the = sign means. Heat energy is stored as mass. Nuclear
energy is stored as mass. Kinetic energy is stored as mass. Energy is
mass, mass is energy. All mass is energy, all energy is mass. There
isn't some energy-that-is-mass and some energy-that-isn't-mass and you
can convert between them, because then energy wouldn't be conserved in a
closed system, and an experiment you do here would have different
results than an experiment you do there.

It's like saying "how do I convert my word-processor into a number
cruncher?"  You rearrange the patterns of bits. But there's no separate
word processor or number cruncher. It's the same parts (i.e., electrons)
in different places.

Put it this way: Do you believe in the conservation of energy? That
energy cannot be created or destroyed in a closed system? If so, where
does the extra mass come from when you accelerate something close to
relativistic speeds? Where does the energy you used to lift a brick out
of a gravity field go? (I.e., what *is* "potential energy" beyond just
words?)

There's no such thing as "energy" beyond a mathematical concept. The
different kinds of energy are different ways of measuring the same
thing. They are ways of calculating patterns of mass.

In exactly the same way, infrared light is ultraviolet light is gamma
radiation is radio waves. Can you convert infrared light to ultraviolet
light? Sure. You don't even have to do anything to the light. Just start
moving real fast towards the source of the light. They are *identical*,
and asking whether it's possible to convert photons to light waves is
unanswerable, because they really are in every respect the same thing
looked at with two different mathematical mechanisms.

Can you explain what kinetic energy *is*? Can you explain why an object
gains mass as it leaves a gravitational field, or why it seems heavier
to an observer moving relative to it compared to an observer stationary
with respect to it? Can you explain where the kinetic energy of a
falling brick comes from if it started at rest in a gravity field?

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     Remember the good old days, when we