POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : ANN: New, open-source, free software rendering system for physically correc= : Re: ANN: New, open-source, free software rendering system for physicallyco= Server Time
11 Oct 2024 15:18:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ANN: New, open-source, free software rendering system for physicallyco=
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 29 Oct 2007 18:40:19
Message: <47266f63$1@news.povray.org>

47266adb$1@news.povray.org...
> Kewl. Faked, but kewl. ;-)  When changing the IOR in an unbiased render
> automatically makes a spectrum, let me know. ;-)

From what I gather from the Maxwell manual, materials use "full ior" data
(ior for each wavelength) that are taken into account for dispersion. They
even talk about a "performance hit" when using these, which must be
something...

Frankly, the Maxwell demo is free (crippled at 800x600 with a watermark, but
one can create, save and render scenes), available for Windows 32 or 64
bits, OSX and Linux, and comes with a few test scenes. Lots of user-made
materials are also available for free apparently. It's really worth the
couple of minutes it takes to download it, if only to see how it works, and
a little test drive would probably answer some of the theoretical questions
I see in these threads.

G.