POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I miss this : Re: I miss this Server Time
11 Oct 2024 23:13:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I miss this
From: Darren New
Date: 29 Oct 2007 16:37:23
Message: <47265293$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>> There is no "other form" of energy. All energy and mass are the same
>> thing. To ask whether mass can be converted to other forms of energy is
>> meaningless.
>
>   Then wikipedia is horribly wrong, I suppose.

E=mc^2

Energy and mass are the same thing. You can't take mass and turn it into
energy, because it's the same thing.

The difference between the energy in carbon bonds and the energy in
quickly moving water droplets is where the energy is stored and what
tools you use to measure it. But it's all ultimately mass.

You're asking whether the bits in a void* can be converted into the bits
in a float. The question is in one sense nonsensical: They're all bits,
ones or zeros.  The question in another sense is about the
interpretation of the behavior of different patterns assigned arbitrary
meanings by human beings.  I answered the former. Wiki answered the latter.

Energy *is* mass. Mass *is* energy. They're the same thing as seen from
different sides, measured with different tools. When Wiki says "you can
convert chemical energy to heat energy", they mean you can change the
tool you need to use to perceive as a human being the mass stored in
different places. They mean "energy that shows up as increased mass
because of a gravitational field can be distinguished from energy that
shows up as increased mass because of the velocity relative to the
observer."  They're both increased mass. You can take bits of the mass
(like some of the mass that four hydrogen atoms have in excess of a
helium atom made from the same fundamental particals) and distribute it
into massy photons and massy relativistic increase in speed of air
molecules flying away from the explosion. But the mass is still there.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     Remember the good old days, when we