POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I miss this : Re: I miss this Server Time
11 Oct 2024 23:13:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I miss this
From: Alain
Date: 29 Oct 2007 15:21:28
Message: <472640c8@news.povray.org>
Warp nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/10/29 09:32:
>> Warp wrote:
>>>   A theoretical question: Can mass be converted to other forms of energy?
>
>> Mass *is* energy. That's where energy is stored. That's why things with
>> lots of kinetic energy are heavier.  That's why a helium atom weighs
>> less than four hydrogen atoms.   E=mc^2.
>
>   That didn't really answer my question.
>
>>>   Assuming yes, how does this conversion affect angular momentum?
>
>> It doesn't. It doesn't go anywhere.  It's all the same stuff.
>
>   Since angular momentum is dependent on mass, that means that eg. heat
> has mass?

Absolutely! It's just that in everydays terms, it's to small to be evaluated
using ordinary instruments. Heat is manifested by an increase in the average
motion of the atoms around a resting location. More heat = faster and longer
movements of the atoms. Faster movement = more kynetic energy.

--
Alain
For here we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead.