POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : ANN: New, open-source, free software rendering system for physically correc= : Re: ANN: New, open-source, free software rendering system for physically co= Server Time
11 Oct 2024 17:46:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ANN: New, open-source, free software rendering system for physically co=
From: Vincent Le Chevalier
Date: 29 Oct 2007 04:48:58
Message: <4725ac8a$1@news.povray.org>

> Vincent Le Chevalier <gal### [at] libertyallsurfspamfr> wrote:
>> First, I don't understand completely what you are trying to do. If you
>> implement an unbiased method, of course the pictures will be radically
>> different.
>
>   Unless I have understood something completely incorrectly, I think that
> "unbiased rendering" simply means that light is not assumed to be coming
> from a specific direction, but the entire space is sampled for possible
> incoming light.

But that means that the images should be different, no? And I mean, more
than just noisy...

>   Well, the phong lighting model is a perfectly valid BRDF, so I see
> absolutely no reason why unbiased rendering would exclude the possibility
> of using it. I don't believe that unbiased rendering would somehow limit
> what kind of BRDFs you can use.

I'm not sure about the phong model being a valid BRDF. But I don't
remember the details so let's say it is...

>   If the phong lighting model is used as the BRDF for all surfaces the
> end result should be pretty much the same using unbiased rendering than
> using the traditional raytracing method (except for the possible graininess).

Except that traditional raytracing neglects plenty of light transfers,
which is what is making it biased in the first place. It's not even a
question of what BRDFs are used...

>> There is no way around that. If the pictures, with the exact
>> same parameters, were only more grainy, but eventually converged to the
>> exact same image on average, then the method would be biased...
>
>   I'm more interested in the single-path-tracing than in the unbiasing.
>
>   (Besides, I think the only difference pure unbiased rendering would do
> is to make the image have global illumination, ie. what povray calls
> "radiosity", especially if big area lights are used instead of point
> lights.)

Well that's a big difference, and I don't know if it's really possible
or even desirable to make a single path if you're not looking for an
unbiased result.

>> The other problem is indeed that many material models within POV-Ray are
>> physically inaccurate
>
>   I bet all BRDFs are physically inaccurate to some extent, and only
> *approximate* the real thing. The phong lighting model is one approximation
> among others (it might not be the best one, but it's a simple and fast one,
> and often gives good results).

I was thinking more of your reflection 1 transmit 1 example. Energy
conservation is still one of the basic properties of BRDFs. There is no
way you can represent that with a BRDF. Of course all BRDFs are only
approximations, but that does not mean that they do not have
constraints. I guess my use of "physically accurate" is the problem here...

In your previous post, you said:
>   The algorithm presented above calculates the non-weighted average of
> the diffuse and specular components. This means that, for example, a
> black object cannot have a completely white highlight (because the averaging
> will make it gray), even though in real life it's perfectly possible for
> this to happen.

A black object can have a bright highlight, of course. Or rather, a
bright reflection. In that case, you would lower diffuse_amount, to be
able to set a higher reflection_amount.

What you cannot do is a white object with a 100% reflection on top of
that. Because if you define that 100% of the incoming light goes in the
specular reflection, there is nothing left to be diffused. So making the
object white effectively means you have a dimmer highlight.

The problems in the algorithm is the colors should all be normalized.
That way the only possiblity to have a black object is lowering its
diffuse_amount, not setting its color to black. In current POV, you can
do one or the other...

--
Vincent