POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Stereoscopic camera : Cool stereo effect Server Time
31 Jul 2024 04:16:11 EDT (-0400)
  Cool stereo effect
From: Rune
Date: 29 Oct 2007 04:47:41
Message: <4725ac3d@news.povray.org>
Sorry for being somewhat off-topic but I have a stereo-related anecdote. ;)

When setting up stereo cameras in a virtual scene, one should consider which
eye separation will show off the virtual object or  scene in the best
possible way.

For example, if you have a height-field of a mountain, you could show it off
like a small model hovering in front of the screen (this will give great
depth information to your eyes). This is achieved by using a very large
stereo separation between the virtual cameras, as if you are a giant looking
at the mountain.

Alternatively you can make the mountain 1:1 and have it be an enormous
mountain that extends far into the screen. This gives less depth information
to your eyes for the far parts (like with a real life mountain) but it gives
a great sense of immersion, like actually being a small person looking at a
real mountain. This is of course achieved by using a realistically small
stereo separation between the virtual cameras.

Now, in animations and simulation, the stereo separation can be dynamically
changed. The movement in camera positions is so subtle that the eyes don't
even really notice it. So imagine this:
You are looking at a small model of a mountain hovering just a few feet away
from your eyes. Then gradually, without the mountain or camera seeming to
move at all, you're suddenly looking at the exact same image, except that
you're looking down at a huge mountain underneath you. The mountain didn't
seem to grow bigger, because it still fills the exact same area of your
field of view - suddenly it just *is* bigger!

I have tried this in an OpenGL simulation I made together with two others,
which we had the opportunity to see in a 3D panorama (wearing 3d glasses)
and it's one of the weirdest visual effects I've seen. It literally takes a
little while for the eyes to understand what have happened - they're not
very good at spotting the changing separation as it happens.

Well, just one of the fun things you can try with stereo effects. :)

Rune