POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I miss this : Re: I miss this Server Time
12 Oct 2024 03:16:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I miss this
From: Darren New
Date: 28 Oct 2007 17:33:42
Message: <47250e46$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   What I don't understand is how a rotating object can produce heat but
> still maintain its full angular momentum. You have not explained this
> at all.

Angular momentum consists of both velocity and distance. When the skater
pulls her arms in and speeds up, the muscular energy turns into kinetic
energy, but the angular momentum stays the same. When the spinning disk
rubs against the disk spinning the other way, the kinetic energy of the
disks is turned into the kinetic energy of the individual atoms (i.e.,
heat), but the positive-signed spinning of the top disk cancels the
negative-signed spinning of the bottom disk.

So, you can change energy without changing angular momentum by spinning
faster but closer, or by having two things spinning opposite directions
change their rate of spin the same amount in different directions.

Energy, on the other hand, isn't signed (except in some rather bizarre
circumstances, and to make the math come out for potential energy in
situations that never actually occur in reality), so that's how it can
happen that you can change the form of energy without changing the
amount of angular momentum.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     Remember the good old days, when we