POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I miss this : Re: I miss this Server Time
12 Oct 2024 03:16:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I miss this
From: Darren New
Date: 28 Oct 2007 16:59:43
Message: <4725064f$1@news.povray.org>
Paul Fuller wrote:
> Several times, as carefully as I could I explained that angular momentum
> is conserved in a closed system.  That is a general principle that is
> apparently fundamental to the way the universe works.

Well, it's not just random. All the "conservation" laws are based on
"symmetry" laws.  Conservation of energy is based on the premise that
what you do here will act the same as what you do there. Conservation of
momentum follows from the idea that an experiment you do now will give
the same results as an experiment you do later. Conservation of angular
momentum is based on the premise that an experiment you do facing this
way will give the same results as an experiment facing that way.

There are similar relationships in the quantum world like conservation
of spin and so on.

I.e., it's not just that it happens to hold. We know *why* it happens to
hold, and how to tell when we find a situation where it doesn't hold.

Which I personally find pretty cool to know. :-)

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     Remember the good old days, when we