POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : This is another "free" unbiased engine: Indigo Render : Re: This is another "free" unbiased engine: Indigo Render Server Time
11 Oct 2024 15:19:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: This is another "free" unbiased engine: Indigo Render
From: Jim Charter
Date: 28 Oct 2007 15:00:05
Message: <4724ea45@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

>   It just feels that sometimes using "less accurate" rendering methods
> which nevertheless produce a completely acceptable image is more feasible
> than using 12+ hours to render a "physically accurate" picture which to
> the layman doesn't look any different... :P

Sure, and I think we all understand that, and that furthermore, the
point is always worth mentioning, always one leg of a platform that will
fail if we don't constantly remind ourselves of it.  But we stabilize
and reinforce our sanity platform precisely so we can rest on it, use it
as a base, while we take our flights of fancy.

While reading these 'v4.0' discussions I have been forced to think a
little about what the appeal of POV-Ray really is for me.  The idea that
I keep coming back to is one I term, 'THE HUNT'.  I get the idea from a
text written by the French artist Jean Dubuffet and I think I have
mentioned it here before.  It is a text I originally read in one of the
compilations by Herchel Chipp while I was in art school in the 70's. I
am sorry I cannot provide a reference beyond that. The title was ,I
think, "L'Impreints". In it Dubuffet takes the reader inside the
creative process in a way few others have.  The medium he was using was
a personal variant on printmaking which involved pulling monoprints from
a surface spread with a film of india ink, not printing ink, and
perturbed (POV pun intented) with foreign matter such as dust and sand.
  As he pulls proof after proof he describes the worlds he discovers
within the ink patterns with the immediacy of the still drying swirls
and grit.  Early in the essay he says, (in English translation, and to
the best of my memory,) "It is like a hunt."

And I believe that this is a the root of POV's appeal for me and
probably for others,...its support for 'THE HUNT'.

POV, an elder statesman of CG, has embodied like its maturing
colleagues, the basic desparity between the pure goal and the impure
solution.  Artists drawn to it must navigate this basic contradiction
philosophically and creatively.  We understand we are working with an
analogue, but an analogue that comes wickedly, and tantalizingly close
sometimes, to its subject.

This realization first came to me while reading the discussions
surrounding syntax.  There was a recognition for the need to change the
syntax to 'abstract' the syntax from the functionality.  The gain could
be greater ease of developmen and greater variety of function. The was
recognition that more robust syntax might leverage everything from model
making to material attributes through the techniques of object
orientation. At times personal stylistic preferences did seem to creep
in. A preoccupation with syntax as an end in itself did seem to creep
in. There was also a recognition that the current syntax holds
properties of their own innate appeal, though the appeal is difficult to
define.  The attempt to define that appeal more clearly for myself lead
to my greater sense of what the appeal of POV is for me.  The Hunt.  The
ability to start at eny point and have the chase of ideas intensify.
What starts as a lighting test ends as a scene of breadth and scope.
What starts as a grand plan to render a universe ends as a lighting test
of gemlike beauty. It involves a syntax of ease, flexibility, and
immediacy.  Improve the syntax, I say, it is innate to the creative
process. But always support The Hunt.

Now again with the reappeal for rendering quality as a priority we are
reminded of the primitive urge at the heart of The Hunt.  The perhaps
irrational, Promethian hope, of making it real.  Early on, one
individual called for the need to define the purpose of 'v4.0' on a
general level before indulging in particulars.  Well, I thought, there
is always someone who wants to define the rules for making the rules for
making the rules.  But that cautionary cry has come back to haunt. What
really is at the very heart of this. The POV community has always
favoured the interwoven strands of purist means as a path to truth and
cutting-edge technique in the hope of gaining it.