POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Stereoscopic camera : Re: Stereoscopic camera Server Time
31 Jul 2024 04:15:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stereoscopic camera
From: Rune
Date: 28 Oct 2007 10:23:31
Message: <4724a973$1@news.povray.org>
news:472460ad@news.povray.org...
> Paul Bourke <pau### [at] uwaeduau> wrote:
>> A stereoscopic camera for PovRay.
>>    http://local.wasp.uwa.edu.au/~pbourke/modelling_rendering/stereopov/
>
>  I don't completely understand
> http://local.wasp.uwa.edu.au/~pbourke/modelling_rendering/stereopov/offaxis.gif
>
>  The two arrows on the "eyes" are completely parallel, as if indicating
> that the "eyes" are looking at infinity.

Naturally, the eyes can look at many different point pairs in the picture.
The points where the arrowed directions hit the plane is just one such pair,
and this particular one would indeed have infinite distance.

However, I think the arrowed lines are more meant to show off that the image
planes for the two eyes are in fact identical, which could not have been
achieved using a standard perspective camera, unless you used a matrix to
skew the camera. Any perspective image has only one point that is
undistorted in the sense that a sphere looks like a circle and not like an
ellipse. Normally, in standard perspective POV-Ray camera that is not
skewed, this point is in the centre of the image. However, as illustrated in
the above diagram, the images for the left and right eyes have this
undistorted point to the left and to the right of the centre of the image
respectively. This makes it possible for the two projection planes to be
parallel (and even be identical in this case).

> However, the fields of view would indicate that the "eyes" are actually
> looking
> at the center of the projection plane.

I don't think it indicates that.

>  The example image at the bottom of the page also confuses me.
<snipped>

You seem to have figured it out yourself. :)

Rune