POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I miss this : Re: I miss this Server Time
12 Oct 2024 01:15:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I miss this
From: Paul Fuller
Date: 28 Oct 2007 07:00:03
Message: <472479c3$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> Paul Fuller <pgf### [at] optusnetcomau> wrote:
>> Sorry but you are just wrong.
>
>   It's easy to say "you are just wrong" without actually explaining why.
I actually do explain more after that one line that you quoted.

>> In this case you assert that there is a point at which the cables can be
>> attached that will prevent the stopping action from imparting any spin
>> to the parent body.
>
>   Attach the cable to the opposite side of the parent body. What happens?
When the cable goes taut the projectile will exert a force on the body
(and vice versa) that will be off centre and will cancel the rotation.
Of course things will bump around but once that is finished the net
rotation will be as before the projectile was fired.  At every stage if
you care to add up the angular momentum of the system it will be constant.

I can't reply with numbers and formulae unless you can give a diagram
with distances, masses and velocities.

>   Besides, we can just forget the cable: Simply shoot the projectile and
> that's it. With the correct amount of speed it will stop the object from
> rotating. Where did the angular momentum go?
It is carried in the off centre velocity of the mass of the projectile.

>> No system of cables, pulleys, magnets, gyroscopes, friction,
>> electricity, radiation, carbon nonotubes, superconductors or whatever
>> can alter that.
>
>   Since a spinning object can be used to produce energy (eg. by friction)
> you are effectively saying that a spinning object is an infinite source
> of energy because its angular momentum will never disappear.

Absolutely not and it is revealing that you misunderstand or
misrepresent the argument to that degree.  I'm not talking about the
rotation of any single part of the system being constant.  I'm talking
about the sum of the angular momentum of the whole system.

As the rotation of a mass A is reduced, an opposite change in angular
momentum occurs somewhere else in the system.  And not by magic.  simply
ask what is exerting the tangential force to slow down A and you'll find
an equal and opposite force acting on that other thing.  And please
don't say friction is exerting the force!  Some other part of the system
must be applying the force be it via friction or any other means.

That you make just nonsense statements on my behalf then tear them down
is poor style.