POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I miss this : Re: I miss this Server Time
12 Oct 2024 01:15:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I miss this
From: Warp
Date: 27 Oct 2007 22:35:37
Message: <4723f579@news.povray.org>
Paul Fuller <pgf### [at] optusnetcomau> wrote:
> Sorry but you are just wrong.

  It's easy to say "you are just wrong" without actually explaining why.

> In this case you assert that there is a point at which the cables can be
> attached that will prevent the stopping action from imparting any spin
> to the parent body.

  Attach the cable to the opposite side of the parent body. What happens?

  Besides, we can just forget the cable: Simply shoot the projectile and
that's it. With the correct amount of speed it will stop the object from
rotating. Where did the angular momentum go?

> No system of cables, pulleys, magnets, gyroscopes, friction,
> electricity, radiation, carbon nonotubes, superconductors or whatever
> can alter that.

  Since a spinning object can be used to produce energy (eg. by friction)
you are effectively saying that a spinning object is an infinite source
of energy because its angular momentum will never disappear.

--
                                                          - Warp