POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : This is another "free" unbiased engine: Indigo Render : Re: This is another "free" unbiased engine: Indigo Render Server Time
11 Oct 2024 17:44:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: This is another "free" unbiased engine: Indigo Render
From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 27 Oct 2007 13:20:19
Message: <47237353@news.povray.org>

> Why one more? Programs like PBRT were designed from the ground up to support
> multiple approaches to solving the rendering equation, and it shows in the
> code. POV wasn't, in fact it's tedious enough to make even minor
> alterations to the way it currently works.

I said it on other threads, but why not repeat: I would like POV-Ray to
support adding rendering algorithms with similar ease as adding objects
or patterns or camera projections. As long as it involves shooting rays,
it would be compatible with all existing objects and pigments. Finish{}
would need to be customized for each lighting algorithm, and some
algorithms can't use normal perturbations, but pigments should work.

I want a forward raytracer with the power of existing POV-Ray SDL and
CSG. And isosurfaces. POV-Ray with an unbiased renderer "plugin" seems
like the best candidate; better than rewriting the SDL parser and
isosurface code on an existing unbiased renderer...