POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Possible new features? : Re: Possible new features? Server Time
9 May 2024 14:24:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Possible new features?
From: Fa3ien
Date: 27 Oct 2007 13:12:00
Message: <47237160$1@news.povray.org>

> I've read that Povray 4.0 code, if I am not wrong, will be a porting of old
> 3.6 features into 3.7 architecture.
>
> So, why not to introduce some new features? I think to features we find in
> Yafray, Blender, etc. But also features introduced in MegaPov or not yet
> introduced (patches not yet merged).

Let's build a "new features" list, properly researched (get as much
information as possible about that feature, theory, papers, code
samples, visual samples) and properly sorted (by category : core
rendering, objects, textures,...).

For example :
- "bokeh"
- sub-category of supersapling / focal blur
- general reference : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bokeh
- CG images samples : http://www.flarg.com/bokeh.html
- used in these renderers : brazil, vray,...
- theory/papers : http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1242155
- implemented in MLPOV (should ask permission to author)
- ...

It would then be easier for developers who are seeking for
something to add to quickly evaluate the feasibility of a
feature.

Fabien.