POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mac Plus vs AMD Dual Core : Re: Mac Plus vs AMD Dual Core Server Time
11 Oct 2024 21:21:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mac Plus vs AMD Dual Core
From: Gail Shaw
Date: 27 Oct 2007 12:41:15
Message: <47236a2b@news.povray.org>
"Alain" <ele### [at] netscapenet> wrote in message
> Orchid XP v7 nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/10/27 05:55:
> > Darren New wrote:
> >>
> >> Now consider why it might be that new software doesn't run on old
> >> OSes, even tho the old software runs on the new OSes.  Maybe it's
> >> because the new OSes provide more services and functionality that the
> >> programmers like to take advantage of to make their lives easier?
> >
> > More likely M$ rearranged some API to induce an artificial dependency,
> > but anyway...

> No API rearrengement at all, NEW APIs! Some older APIs where also
upgraded, but
> they are still called the same way as before and return the same thing.

And some of those new APIs are quicker and easier to use. Hence the lazy
programmers (*) who develop apps for windows will use those over the older
APIs. Hence stuff works on XP that won't work on 98

(*) It has been said that laziness is a desirable trait in programmers. I'm
not making a judgement on everyone who develops