POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : This is another "free" unbiased engine: Indigo Render : Re: This is another "free" unbiased engine: Indigo Render Server Time
11 Oct 2024 17:47:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: This is another "free" unbiased engine: Indigo Render
From: Orchid XP v7
Date: 27 Oct 2007 10:31:48
Message: <47234bd4$1@news.povray.org>
Gilles Tran wrote:

> The problem being that doing equivalent scenes in POV-Ray (particularly
> interior scenes) is, from a practical point of view, impossible. Light
> sources in POV-Ray are much too primitive for that, there's no support for
> true area lights or good-looking blurred reflections and while there are
> situations where it's more or less possible to simulate this (using various
> tricks), in most cases it just doesn't work.

Wait... since when does POV not have "true" area lights?

> Jaime is probably the POV-Ray
> artist who has done the most research in that, and his best results,
> impressive as they are from a POV-Ray perspective, are just not in same
> league and are plagued with radiosity artifacts and area light graininess.
> http://www.ignorancia.org/en/index.php?page=Modern_interior
>
> Even with the grain, the quality of the illumination in unbiaised renderers
> is unparalleled, simply because there's no cheating involved.

Perhaps everybody else is looking at different pictures to me...? I
think these ones look *better* than the ones from Indigo. (Sharper, more
crisp, and more detailed. The colours seem more vivid too. I don't know
whether this is an effect of the renderer or just better scene design...)

Seriously. I'm failing to see anything POV-Ray can't already do.
(Especially if you leave it to render for *this* long!) Also, I was
somewhat amused to see quite a few images that appear to be using
polygons rather than real curves... No cheating? I think not.