POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I miss this : Re: I miss this Server Time
11 Oct 2024 23:13:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I miss this
From: Paul Fuller
Date: 27 Oct 2007 08:30:01
Message: <47232f49@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> scott <sco### [at] laptopcom> wrote:
>> "Each turn robs the planet of angular momentum"
>
>> Unfortunately not...
>
>   I don't see, technically speaking, why not.
>
>   Let's assume we have a big object in a weightless space in vacuum
> rotating. Can this rotation be stopped by the object itself without
> applying external forces?
>
>   The answer is yes. The most obvious way to do this is to fire up some
> rockets in specific directions. This causes the rotation to slow down,
> basically by expelling material at high speed from the object.
>
>   A slightly less obvious way is to rotate some significant part of the
> object at a different speed. Why does this slow down the overall rotation?
> It's because part of the angular momentum is converted into heat due to
> friction, and this heat dissipation is taken away from this angular momentum.

Nope.

As the part is spun up, the larger part is spun in the opposite
direction to a degree determined by their relative masses.  The net
angular momentum of the system stays constant assuming that this is a
closed system.

When the spin is removed as you suggest by friction, slowing the
'rotating part' applies an equal but opposite force to the main body.
This results in the assembly as a whole returning to the original rate
and direction of spin (or rest).  It can however be left pointing in a
different direction.

Angular momentum is conserved.

The heat dissipated is simply the energy used to spin up the system
being returned.

What is useful is that the system - say a satellite - can be pointed to
and kept at different directions and that unwanted rotation can be
countered by precisely controlling a number of gyroscopes.

Real satellites are subject to external forces like drag, outgassing and
uneven light pressure that can give them unwanted spin.  Gyroscopes can
be used to soak this up.  Eventually if the external forces keep
building up in the same direction the gyroscopes can't be spun up safely
any more to counter the rotation.  The satellite operator uses thrusters
to really counter the rotation with off-centre thrust.  At the same time
the gyroscopes are spun down and returned to a rate of rotation that is
within a comfort zone and correct to match any residual spin after the
thruster stops.

When the gyroscopes seize or when the thruster propellant is exhausted
the satellite could no longer be controlled.  Usually some time before
this the satellite is retired to a safer parking orbit or in some cases
is even de-orbited.  The idea is to do this while the operator can
control the orientation.

Hubble is a good example.  It has 6 large gyroscopes.  Originally 3 were
used to be able to point and hold very steady in any given orientation.
   The others were provided as spares.  Quite a few gyroscopes have
failed and had to be replaced during servicing missions.  IIRC it was
out of action for a while when 4 gyros failed but they developed a way
to operate with only 2 but with reduced capability.  At the moment it is
operating with close to no redundancy and NASA has concluded that a
shuttle won't be used to perform another service mission.  The proposal
was to de-orbit it while they have control.  This caused furore and NASA
was reconsidering.  Last I heard a 5th servicing mission was back on for
next year.  Pessimistically I'd guess that no mission will happen and
that good old Hubble is either going to be brought down or otherwise
become unusable when the next gyro fails.

Another aside - There is some research going on to develop
micro-thrusters that could potentially do away with gyroscopes in future
satellites.  Each one provides a once-off and very small amount of
thrust.  A very large number are built into a grid.  Imagine something
like a chip built using semiconductor fabrication holding 1000x1000
little electronically fired cells.  Each contains a microgram of solid
propellant.  Place lots of these chips at strategic points on the
outside of the satellite.