POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : This is another "free" unbiased engine: Indigo Render : Re: This is another "free" unbiased engine: Indigo Render Server Time
11 Oct 2024 17:44:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: This is another "free" unbiased engine: Indigo Render
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 27 Oct 2007 07:41:26
Message: <472323e6@news.povray.org>

4722f06c@news.povray.org...
> Many of the global illumination (radiosity) scenes had posted times
> over 12 hours, when I'm sure equivalent scenes in POV would
> render in less time (usually) and not be grainy.

The problem being that doing equivalent scenes in POV-Ray (particularly
interior scenes) is, from a practical point of view, impossible. Light
sources in POV-Ray are much too primitive for that, there's no support for
true area lights or good-looking blurred reflections and while there are
situations where it's more or less possible to simulate this (using various
tricks), in most cases it just doesn't work. Jaime is probably the POV-Ray
artist who has done the most research in that, and his best results,
impressive as they are from a POV-Ray perspective, are just not in same
league and are plagued with radiosity artifacts and area light graininess.
http://www.ignorancia.org/en/index.php?page=Modern_interior

Even with the grain, the quality of the illumination in unbiaised renderers
is unparalleled, simply because there's no cheating involved.

G.