POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : ANN: New, open-source, free software rendering system for physically correc= : Re: ANN: New, open-source, free software rendering system for physically co= Server Time
11 Oct 2024 21:20:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ANN: New, open-source, free software rendering system for physically co=
From: Darren New
Date: 26 Oct 2007 23:18:15
Message: <4722adf7$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   Naturally if two photons reflect from the surface and end up hitting the
> same image pixel, their brightness gets added, not averaged. There's no
> such a thing as "averaging photons" in nature.

Technically, there is, except you average them in a complex space (as in
real+imaginary) instead of linearly.  ;-)   If you *really* wanna get
physically correct.

> However, in specular reflection the reflected ray retains at least
> part of its own color and is not completely filtered by the surface's
> color. This is something which happens in nature.

Isn't that one of the things that makes a surface look metalic? That the
reflected rays retain their own color because the photons are bouncing
off the free valence electrons roaming around on the surface of the
material, rather than hitting a bound electron in a particular "shell"?

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     Remember the good old days, when we