POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Parse Strings : Re: Parse Strings Server Time
20 May 2024 00:06:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Parse Strings
From: Charles C
Date: 26 Oct 2007 19:55:19
Message: <47227e67@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> Charles C <"nospam a nospam.com"> wrote:
>> Warp wrote:
>>>   I wouldn't say that's the best possible usage for an eval() function...
>
>> I don't understand your meaning.
>
>   That if the only rational use for eval() is so that you can display a
> function as a string besides evaluating it, that's not reason enough to
> make the parser 10 times more complicated just get an eval() function.

Understood.  Agreed.  It's probably not worth it just for a single
uncommon situation if it makes the parser 10 times more complicated.*
But maybe it's not the only rational reason, and that's what the
discussion is for. I was contributing *a* reason.  I didn't mean for my
reason as a stand-alone justification for a massive effort.

*I think prioritization can be measured in three dimensions: time
urgency, importance or benefit, and ease of implementation or cost.

<stands on soap box>
All ideas are worth considering, generally**, no matter how silly,  but
some can be ruled out earlier than others depending on cost and benefit.
  Maybe this is one of those earlier ones.  In terms of POV-Ray features
if enough people want a feature, then at some point it becomes worth
considering more seriously.   Even if the benefit is low and the cost is
high, people who believe there is a benefit should still chime in and
say so or we'll never really know how many people it'll help or what
different uses it might have.

**If for example you're dealing with an emergency situation I'd say go
deal with that first.

>> I think it would be great if
>> strings could be treated almost as if they were include files in memory,
>
>   All kinds of things would be nice, but a different story is how easy
> it is to implement.

Very true.  You don't think it would be worth it for this one.  Still,
it doesn't hurt to talk about it to see what different people think -
Float an idea and if it's not good, chances are it'll drift away. :-)

My 2c
Charles