POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Parse Strings : Re: Parse Strings Server Time
20 May 2024 01:21:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Parse Strings
From: Warp
Date: 26 Oct 2007 17:11:04
Message: <472257e7@news.povray.org>
Charles C <"nospam a nospam.com"> wrote:
> Warp wrote:
> > Charles C <"nospam a nospam.com"> wrote:
> >>    I wanted to only have to enter a function in SDL once, so I used a
> >> string, and figured out the include-file-method as a workaround to
> >> convert that string to something plot-able.  I asked on the newsgroups
> >> if there was a better way... wishing.
> >
> >   I wouldn't say that's the best possible usage for an eval() function...

> I don't understand your meaning.

  That if the only rational use for eval() is so that you can display a
function as a string besides evaluating it, that's not reason enough to
make the parser 10 times more complicated just get an eval() function.

> I think it would be great if
> strings could be treated almost as if they were include files in memory,

  All kinds of things would be nice, but a different story is how easy
it is to implement.

--
                                                          - Warp