POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : This is another "free" unbiased engine: Indigo Render : Re: This is another "free" unbiased engine: Indigo Render Server Time
11 Oct 2024 15:21:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: This is another "free" unbiased engine: Indigo Render
From: somebody
Date: 26 Oct 2007 16:48:25
Message: <47225299$1@news.povray.org>
"Tor Olav Kristensen" <tor### [at] TOBEREMOVEDgmailcom> wrote
> somebody wrote:

> > ...B-rep modelling, whether mesh or
> > NURBS is also a must, neither animation nor manufacture is easy or
natural
> > with implicit "modelling" as in SDL, which only made sense 20 years ago
when
> > realtime b-rep modelling wasn't feasible on a budget.

> It IS possible to model with NURBS in POV-Ray, by using SDL.
>
> BUT it is very hard to model with it without having the
> possibility to move the control points around (or changing
> the weights or the knot vectors) with a pointing device
> like e.g. a mouse.

Well, that's the point. It is of course possible to model *any* mesh or
NURBS based model within the SDL, after all, I am pretty sure that the SDL
is equivalent to a universal Turing machine. You could, if all else fails,
place ten million triangles by hand. That doesn't mean it's desirable or
feasible to do so. Nobody that I know of models NURBS surfaces by typing
down control points, knot vectors, weights and trimming profiles by hand in
a production environment.