POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mac Plus vs AMD Dual Core : Re: Mac Plus vs AMD Dual Core Server Time
11 Oct 2024 23:11:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mac Plus vs AMD Dual Core
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 26 Oct 2007 16:10:05
Message: <4722499d@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 09:06:32 +0200, scott wrote:

> Gee, I'd hate to work at your company where the IT people don't even let
> you watch videos or play an odd game of Internet Reversi during a break.
> Actually some of our customers send us video clips of problems
> sometimes, it would be a bit embarrassing if we had to explain how we
> chose an IT system that didn't allow us to watch them...

This is becoming more and more popular in businesses; I worked for a
Fortune 50 that enforced a special wallpaper so employees would know they
were working on a company machine.  (I had some involvement in this
because I created the wallpaper as a lark - thought "wouldn't it be fun
to create the company's logo as a glass-like texture using POV - and was
asked by the guy doing the desktop lockdown project if he could get a
copy of it - next thing I knew, it was on over 10,000 desktops across the
company).

That was now about 10 years ago (doesn't seem possible it was that long
ago).  But desktop lockdown and software installation policies are very
common in corporate IT policies these days, especially with all the
crapware/malware/spyware that's in the Windows world.

Jim