POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mac Plus vs AMD Dual Core : Re: Mac Plus vs AMD Dual Core Server Time
12 Oct 2024 01:15:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mac Plus vs AMD Dual Core
From: Orchid XP v7
Date: 26 Oct 2007 14:39:14
Message: <47223452@news.povray.org>
Alain wrote:

> Do you remember when windows 3 came out?

No. That was back before I started using PCs.

> Do you remember when windows 95 came out? Peoples complained about how
> much RAM it needed and that many video cards where not up to the task.
> Not just that, but LOOK at all the disk space it needs!!! Many said that
> is was horribly huge and bloated.

Can't help feeling they'd be right...

> The thing is that as the hardware evolve, OS and softwares do the same,
> and backware compatibility can't be maintained/guaranted for more that 1
> or 2 hardware generations.
> As the hardware can do more, the OS follows suit and DO more. As rhe RAM
> become cheaper, softwares grow to use that RAM to do more.

The underlying assumption seems to be that to do more requires more
hardware.

Sure, manipulating an 8 megapixel photo takes a lot of RAM. But what
about while you're *not* manipulating an 8 megapixel photo? Why should
it require any more RAM then? (Not to mention CPU time...)