POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : This is another "free" unbiased engine: Indigo Render : Re: This is another "free" unbiased engine: Indigo Render Server Time
11 Oct 2024 15:19:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: This is another "free" unbiased engine: Indigo Render
From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 26 Oct 2007 12:10:53
Message: <4722118d@news.povray.org>

>   That doesn't mean POV-Ray will never ever implement such algorithms if
> they are good.

I would love to see the code (3.7 or more probably 4.0) abstract things
enough so that adding objects, camera projections, texture patterns, or
*whole rendering/lighting algorithms* to be added without having to
touch too much core code. For example, adding a new rendering algorithm
that is a forwards-raytracer that would work with all existing objects,
cameras, patterns, pigments, and normals; only having to change the
finish and maybe the light_source for the lighting features specific to
the algorithm.

I saw a quite interesting renderer using forwards raytracing (I'm not
sure if it's completely unbiased, looks good enough), but doesn't even
have *CSG* on its scene description language. I want CSG, isosurfaces
and a spherical camera; with *that* lighting.