POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mac Plus vs AMD Dual Core : Re: Mac Plus vs AMD Dual Core Server Time
12 Oct 2024 01:15:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mac Plus vs AMD Dual Core
From: Alain
Date: 26 Oct 2007 10:17:53
Message: <4721f711$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v7 nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/10/25 14:18:

> Do you even remember when WinXP first came out? And how everybody has
> utterly horrified at the minimum hardware requirements to make it
> function acceptably? It's been around so long now that everybody seems
> to have forgotten that XP takes four times as much hardware to do the
> same thing as older OSes managed to do quite happily...

Do you remember when windows 3 came out? Peoples complained that it took to much
space and could'nt run from floppys. A little after HDs started to become
afordable and to come preinstalled on every PCs. Many said that is was horribly
huge and bloated.

Do you remember when windows 95 came out? Peoples complained about how much RAM
it needed and that many video cards where not up to the task. Not just that, but
LOOK at all the disk space it needs!!! Many said that is was horribly huge and
bloated.

Similar comments where issued when windows 98 came out!
I saw this comment: "Windows Vista is like Windows 95, 12 years later."

Take a look at Apple's products. They to, received similar comments with each
new OS releases. Try runing MacOS 5 on the latest G5! Or MacOS X on a PowerPC
(prior to G2)!
The same can be sayd about Unix/Linux.

The thing is that as the hardware evolve, OS and softwares do the same, and
backware compatibility can't be maintained/guaranted for more that 1 or 2
hardware generations.
As the hardware can do more, the OS follows suit and DO more. As rhe RAM become
cheaper, softwares grow to use that RAM to do more.

--
Alain
Bet my floppy's bigger than yours.