POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mac Plus vs AMD Dual Core : Re: Mac Plus vs AMD Dual Core Server Time
12 Oct 2024 01:15:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mac Plus vs AMD Dual Core
From: Alain
Date: 26 Oct 2007 09:51:39
Message: <4721f0eb$1@news.povray.org>
Warp nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/10/25 17:29:

>> Do you even remember when WinXP first came out? And how everybody has
>> utterly horrified at the minimum hardware requirements to make it
>> function acceptably? It's been around so long now that everybody seems
>> to have forgotten that XP takes four times as much hardware to do the
>> same thing as older OSes managed to do quite happily...
>
>   I wonder if you could even install XP in a 386, in any shape or form.
> Any modern linux distro should be installable in a 386. Even X might work
> if you use a superlight window manager, so you will not even be confined
> to the command prompt.
>
>   (Why would anyone even want to install linux in a 386? Well, if you
> have one laying around, it makes a supercheap firewall or small-scale ftp
> server, for instance.)

During the Vista's beta testing, some foolhardy guy managed to install AND run
Vista on a 386 (or maybe even only a 286) with only 16Mb of RAM and a large HD.
Must have been slow as HELL, and trashing the drive non-stop, but it DID work,
if only "sort of"!

--
Alain
You know you've been raytracing too long when you find yourself daydreaming for