POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I miss this : Re: I miss this Server Time
11 Oct 2024 21:18:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I miss this
From: Warp
Date: 26 Oct 2007 08:32:32
Message: <4721de5c@news.povray.org>
scott <sco### [at] laptopcom> wrote:
> Because you need angular *acceleration* to "rob the planet of momentum", not
> angular velocity.

> Simply spinning at a constant 5000rpm is not going to change the planet's
> momentum, it will stay constant no matter how many times you turn or for how
> long you stay turning.

  Take into account air friction and friction from the ground. In order to
maintain the constant turning speed you have to actually accelerate
constantly due to these frictions.

  Basically you can't have anything connected to the plane rotating at
a constant velocity without applying a force to it (because of friction).
And an applied force means acceleration.

--
                                                          - Warp