POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : This is another "free" unbiased engine: Indigo Render : Re: This is another "free" unbiased engine: Indigo Render Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:18:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: This is another "free" unbiased engine: Indigo Render
From: scott
Date: 26 Oct 2007 08:23:30
Message: <4721dc42@news.povray.org>
>> >  POV-Ray is the unfortunate victim of negative hype. One reason for
>> > this
>> > is that POV-Ray has existed for so long and doesn't jump to every trend
>> > which is being currently fashionable and hyped.
>
>> "doesn't" or "can't"?
>
>  What's that supposed to even mean?

Is it because the development team decided they don't want to jump on any
trends, or is it that they don't have the man-power to do it in a reasonable
time-frame?

>> Perhaps just because it moves forwards very slowly.  We need more people
>> help develop POV to make use of these new fangled techniques.  Perhaps
>> they
>> will die out as nobody uses them, perhaps they won't.  But unless POV
>> keeps
>> up it *will* be seen and known as an "old" renderer.  WHich IMO will be a
>> big shame, as POV certainly does have some cool stuff still to offer.
>
>  That's why POV-Ray 4 will be different.

I hope so :-)

>  My only fear is that the new "design by committee" of pov4 could kill it
> in a few years in the exact same way as it has killed so many renderers
> before.

Just needs a few people with a bit of brains to take charge, as with all
projects.  It's not exactly the most complicated or largest group project
ever undertaken.