POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I miss this : Re: I miss this Server Time
11 Oct 2024 21:18:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I miss this
From: scott
Date: 26 Oct 2007 08:18:16
Message: <4721db08$1@news.povray.org>
>> "Each turn robs the planet of angular momentum"
>
>> Unfortunately not...
>
>  I don't see, technically speaking, why not.

Because you need angular *acceleration* to "rob the planet of momentum", not
angular velocity.

Simply spinning at a constant 5000rpm is not going to change the planet's
momentum, it will stay constant no matter how many times you turn or for how
long you stay turning.

Of course spinning up to 5000rpm from 0rpm will change the momentum, but
then spinning back down from 5000 to 0 will have precisely the opposite
effect.

So, each turn, does not in fact, rob the planet of any momentum.