POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : ANN: New, open-source, free software rendering system for physically correc= : Re: ANN: New, open-source, free software rendering system for physically co= Server Time
11 Oct 2024 21:21:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ANN: New, open-source, free software rendering system for physically co=
From: Warp
Date: 26 Oct 2007 07:57:15
Message: <4721d61a@news.povray.org>
Vincent Le Chevalier <gal### [at] libertyallsurfspamfr> wrote:
> >   How about the surface's own color?

> It is taken into account in the reflected rays, in fact. It's the same
> process.

  But how exactly? If I simply mix the reflected ray color with the
surface color, that will make the surface more opaque than it was defined.
  What if the surface was also refractive? Should the surface color also
be mixed with the refracted ray?

  Besides, lighting must affect the surface coloring somehow. It doesn't
appear automatically all by itself. You have to mix the lighting of the
surface somehow.

  Could someone post an exact algorithm about how this is done?

  I'm not trolling here. I have access to the pov3.7 source and I'm helping
the pov-team develop it (eg. the new string comparison operators were added
by me). I would be interested in testing this kind of rendering to see if
it's feasible. Although unlikely, it's theoretically *possible* that I could
try adding some support for this to pov3.7, if I could just figure out the
algorithm how it's supposed to be done.

--
                                                          - Warp