POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : This is another "free" unbiased engine: Indigo Render : Re: This is another "free" unbiased engine: Indigo Render Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:17:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: This is another "free" unbiased engine: Indigo Render
From: scott
Date: 26 Oct 2007 07:32:40
Message: <4721d058$1@news.povray.org>
>  POV-Ray is the unfortunate victim of negative hype. One reason for this
> is that POV-Ray has existed for so long and doesn't jump to every trend
> which is being currently fashionable and hyped.

"doesn't" or "can't"?

>  POV-Ray has implemented multi-threaded rendering which has received
>  POV-Ray even went a bit with the trend and implemented HDRI (with two
> popular file formats and all).

"The current official version of POV-Ray is 3.6.1, which was released on 3
August 2004"

So, in over three years of work we have got beta version support of
multi-threading and HDRI?  Again, clearly the devs are working very hard,
but why aren't more people helping like with other renderers?  What is
turning them away?  What makes POV different to other renderers that have a
much larger group of people helping write them?

> No matter how much POV-Ray evolves and implements new techniques, some
> people will always see it as a renderer of the past which has "no
> intention
> to move forward".

Perhaps just because it moves forwards very slowly.  We need more people to
help develop POV to make use of these new fangled techniques.  Perhaps they
will die out as nobody uses them, perhaps they won't.  But unless POV keeps
up it *will* be seen and known as an "old" renderer.  WHich IMO will be a
big shame, as POV certainly does have some cool stuff still to offer.