POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : This is another "free" unbiased engine: Indigo Render : Re: This is another "free" unbiased engine: Indigo Render Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:20:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: This is another "free" unbiased engine: Indigo Render
From: scott
Date: 26 Oct 2007 03:45:13
Message: <47219b09$1@news.povray.org>
> Pov-Ray is now a rendering engine of the "old" generation and, for what I
> see, there is no intention to move forward. The only interest is speed
> (reading some furum answers). If I want speed I use GPU rendering (OpenGL
> Shading Language: GLSL) which is approaching Pov-Ray quality very fast
> (radiosity can be emulated almost in realtime).

I wonder what it is that has kept potential developers away from helping
with POV?

There seem to have been whole renderers written in the time it takes from
POV to go from 3.6 to 3.7 beta.  Why is this?

I love the SDL in POV, and for me it makes certain tasks quicker than using
a modeller or CAD package.  But TBH I haven't really looked at anything else
in detail for comparison.