POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mac Plus vs AMD Dual Core : Re: Mac Plus vs AMD Dual Core Server Time
12 Oct 2024 03:17:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mac Plus vs AMD Dual Core
From: scott
Date: 26 Oct 2007 03:14:58
Message: <472193f2$1@news.povray.org>
> I agree. If you bought a new car and it randomly stalled once a month,
> you'd be taking it in for warranty service.

It would probably be a software problem :-)

> On the other hand, computer programs are pretty much the most complicated
> things ever created, almost be definition. If two chunks are the same, you
> take one out. It's 100% complex.

Yep, even on something relatively much simpler, like the radio in a car, it
is the software that causes the biggest headaches.  We can develop and test
the hardware usually in two or three 6 month blocks, but it always the
software that requires *way* more time and is usually the reason for
requested hardware changes, extra builds and delays.

If MS wanted this level of reliability on their software, which is 10s or
100s times more complex, it would take them forever to release anything.  It
just wouldn't work, they would go bankrupt.