POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I miss this : Re: I miss this Server Time
11 Oct 2024 19:16:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I miss this
From: Alain
Date: 25 Oct 2007 17:03:43
Message: <472104af$1@news.povray.org>
Bill Pragnell nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/10/25 06:28:
> Darren New wrote:
>> True. But to get the electrical propultion to work, the projectile
>> needs to be pretty small, which means it needs to go pretty fast.
>> Otherwise it's more of a thrower than a firearm. :-)
>
> A railgun is exactly that - a thrower. A firearm uses chemical reactions
> to provide impulse.
>
> You would never use one as a portable antipersonnel weapon anyway, it's
> probably more useful as a large scale space-based anti-ship or
> planet-busting weapon.
Or as a satelite thrower.
Dig a large tunnel up some mountain near the equator, from about sea level to
near the summit, line it up with proper circuitry. Load a specialy designed
single stage rocket. Launch a 1000 tons payload into stationary orbit for less
than $1 000 000.00! And you could do that every few hours.

--
Alain
You know you've been raytracing too long when you're starting to find these