POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Parse Strings : Re: Parse Strings Server Time
8 May 2024 23:45:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Parse Strings
From: Charles C
Date: 25 Oct 2007 14:25:59
Message: <4720dfb7@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Alvarez wrote:

>> Anyway, my request isn't based on how easy or hard it would be to
>> implement,
>> but rather on how useful it would be to me.  In the past year, I've run
>> across more and more situations where I would want this.
>>

> Name some. Maybe we don't need an eval()-like function, what we need is
> other features so that we never ever need to use eval.

In my case I was using POV-Ray as a graphing calculator and wanted the
resultant image to show both the text and graphic form of the function.
   I wanted to only have to enter a function in SDL once, so I used a
string, and figured out the include-file-method as a workaround to
convert that string to something plot-able.  I asked on the newsgroups
if there was a better way... wishing.
Charles