POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I miss this : Re: I miss this Server Time
11 Oct 2024 17:45:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I miss this
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 25 Oct 2007 09:19:12
Message: <472097d0$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> Bill Pragnell <bil### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
>> Hollywood gets projectile momentum transfer wrong all the time. Every
>> time somebody gets shot by any kind of weapon, for a start.
>   Yes, it's funny how Hollywood physics are so skewed while still not
> appearing completely wacky to the layman.

[snip detail]

Agreed - all of it. Maybe I read too much into realism, but I just can't
take most action films seriously. The other things that are always wrong
are explosions. A big pretty billowing fireball with hardly any force
behind it is definitely not what a hand grenade does, or indeed any
other explosive. A small firework and a gallon of fuel, maybe.

For a significant departure in this regard, watch The Kingdom. There's a
car bomb explosion nearly halfway through that was done using real C4
explosive, and it looks terrifyingly powerful. And very real.

That said, there are some very silly films that manage to mostly get
this sort of thing right - True Lies, for example. Unlikely in the
extreme, but most of the actual action isn't too far-fetched.