POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I miss this : Re: I miss this Server Time
11 Oct 2024 17:46:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I miss this
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 25 Oct 2007 07:49:54
Message: <472082e2$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> Bill Pragnell <bil### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
>> Darren New wrote:
>>> Sure. You try holding a weapon that fires something at relativistic speeds.
>
>> I meant the railgun aspect - accelerating the projectile using
>> electromagnetics.
>
>   Newton's third law still applies, even at relativistic accelerations.
> If a force is applied to the projectile to make it accelerate at a certain
> direction, another force will accelerate something else (ie. the gun)
> at the opposite direction. I can't think of any way of avoiding that.

Yes, I know all that. When I said 'basic premise' I was referring to the
use of a magnetic field to accelerate the projectile, not the issues
surrounding the claimed muzzle speed.

Hollywood gets projectile momentum transfer wrong all the time. Every
time somebody gets shot by any kind of weapon, for a start.