POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Parse Strings : Re: Parse Strings Server Time
9 May 2024 13:13:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Parse Strings
From: Fa3ien
Date: 25 Oct 2007 06:45:11
Message: <472073b7$1@news.povray.org>

>   There's a reason why eg. C++ and Java don't support parsing strings and
> interpreting them as C++ or Java. Even many interpreted scripting languages
> don't have any parse function because it may not be quite trivial to
> implement in them. The current SDL is a good example of this.

The main problem with the current method of using an include file is speed.
If it could be done using a virtual file stored in RAM, there could be
a huge gain in speed without fundamentally changing the method.

(Is my memory weakening, or do I correctly remember that, at some point,
  there was a patch, MegaPOV or another, which actually allowed to parse
  a string ?)

Fabien.