POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : How to attract developers ? : How to attract developers ? Server Time
9 May 2024 11:12:16 EDT (-0400)
  How to attract developers ?
From: Fa3ien
Date: 25 Oct 2007 06:39:08
Message: <4720724c$1@news.povray.org>
Let me quote Chris Cason :

in http://news.povray.org/46e091ef%241%40news.povray.org
<<
I share some frustration; the original developers of POV (i.e. ones who
were around in the 1.0 days) have mostly gotten somewhat older, married,
kids, mortgage, in other words 'real life'. So one by one they've become
inactive; I'm the only one left now.

In the process, we haven't picked up as many new developers as those who
have left. And our development model simply does not fit in with the way
things are done in most open software projects these days, which doesn't help.

Obviously, that's the #1 problem.  How are we going to get more people
to work on POV-Ray's core ?

Not everyone can do that.  It requires high-level programming knowledge
in C++ (which excludes people like myself).

Will the new Open Source status automagically attract people ?

Will POV 3.7's new architecture make it much easier to work on it
so more people could do it ?

Don't we need, at some point, to spread the word in other places ?
"hey, POV4 is going Open Source, we need people to participate"

Of course, non-programmers or modest programmers can do sample files,
various utilities and documentation, but with only 3 or 4 people
working on the core, they won't have much to work on...

Ideas ?

Fabien.