POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I miss this : Re: I miss this Server Time
11 Oct 2024 15:20:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I miss this
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 25 Oct 2007 06:23:15
Message: <47206e93$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Bill Pragnell wrote:
>> although the basic premise for the gun is a real one,
>
> Sure. You try holding a weapon that fires something at relativistic speeds.

I meant the railgun aspect - accelerating the projectile using
electromagnetics.

>> or the dubious claim that it can fire projectiles at near lightspeed
>
> That's what a railgun is for.

No it's not. A railgun accelerates a projectile with something like a
linear accelerator. You get a fast-moving slug but I don't think
anyone's under the illusion that it could be relativistic.

> You're only seeing the shockwave. ;-)

Hmm. *shakes head dubiously*

:)