POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mac Plus vs AMD Dual Core : Re: Mac Plus vs AMD Dual Core Server Time
12 Oct 2024 05:08:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mac Plus vs AMD Dual Core
From: Darren New
Date: 24 Oct 2007 20:38:30
Message: <471fe586$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   So the implicit conversion rules of C for signed and unsigned integers
> are weird? Care to suggest better conversion rules?

No, they make perfect sense, when you consider that they're two
different ranges of values fit into the same number of bits. I'm merely
pointing out that the errors you describe comes from treating "int"s as
"integers". There's no such thing as an "unsigned integer", only an
"unsigned int".  It was a nit, nothing more. :-)

I.e., the problem isn't the conversion rules, but the fact that people
code in C without constantly keeping in mind the limitations caused by
the low-level nature of the values and the lack of error checking.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     Remember the good old days, when we