POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mac Plus vs AMD Dual Core : Re: Mac Plus vs AMD Dual Core Server Time
12 Oct 2024 05:10:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mac Plus vs AMD Dual Core
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 24 Oct 2007 17:37:34
Message: <471fbb1e$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 21:14:54 +0100, Orchid XP v7 wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 20:22:30 +0100, Orchid XP v7 wrote:
>>
>>> Arguably it would be faster to start again from scratch rather than
>>> try and learn the OO codebase... :-S
>>
>> Doubt it, otherwise new coders coming into the project would never get
>> started (into any project, for that matter).
>
> I always wondered about this... How *do* you get started on a new
> project with millions of lines of code and no documentation?

You spend lots of time reading code and asking questions.  :-)

Or, what I did, was spend lots of time reading code and asking questions,
but not as much as a programmer learning to contribute to the project
would, and just spent my time looking at the pieces I was interested in.

I also came from a practical knowledge background from implementing the
product, and spent a fair amount of time using source code analysis tools
to look at call stacks taken from running systems.  Didn't give me a
comprehensive view of what was going on, but I was able to suggest fixes
for a couple of issues to the developers that were feasible.

Jim