POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : New, open-source, free software rendering system for physically correct : Re: New, open-source, free software rendering system for physicallycorrect Server Time
11 Oct 2024 17:46:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New, open-source, free software rendering system for physicallycorrect
From: Orchid XP v7
Date: 24 Oct 2007 16:23:17
Message: <471fa9b5$1@news.povray.org>
Gail Shaw wrote:

> And they're telling me how to fix the problem they learned about 5 min
> earlier. *sigh* And that they weren't listening to a word I said.

I just finished replacing 4 old PCs today.

The old machines:

   AMD K6-II, 500 MHz
   128 MB RAM
   S3 Trio3D/2X graphics
   Windoze NT 4.0 Service Pack 6a

The replacement machines:

   AMD Athlon X2 4000+, 2.11 GHz
   1,024 MB RAM
   nVidia GeForce 6100 (I'm not kidding!)
   Windoze XP Service Pack 2

And where all the users delighted? No. Obviously, no. One person
remarked that logging in to some web app is still slow as hell. (Gee,
could that be because we have a 2 mbit/sec Internet link shared between
50 PCs and no web proxy?) Another person complained that they wanted
newer monitors. And somebody else complained about how long it took to
log in. (This is likely to be related to their roaming profile. It is in
excess of 700 MB in size, after all...)

I spend years trying to get my hands on the money to upgrade a tiny
handful of PCs, and this is the thanks I get. I expected as much...