POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mac Plus vs AMD Dual Core : Re: Mac Plus vs AMD Dual Core Server Time
12 Oct 2024 05:09:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mac Plus vs AMD Dual Core
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 24 Oct 2007 15:44:53
Message: <471fa0b5$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 18:57:07 +0100, Orchid XP v7 wrote:

> Indeed no - their job is to research new techniques for slowing software
> down as much as possible to boost sales of expensive new hardware.
> (Presumably this is why the hardware vendors love them so much...)

That's been my working theory for years.  Goes something like this:

NetWare:  Solid, stable, reliable OS.  No possibility for hardware
upgrades (until 4.x came out) or extended support contracts, because it
just worked.

Windows:  Higher hardware requirements, not as stable as NetWare, so
requires ongoing maintenance, support, and you hope that they'll fix the
bugs in the current version in the next version so you have an upgrade
opportunity.  Of course, with the new version comes higher hardware
requirements, so the vendor gets to make their hardware sales quotas, and
you'll want support as well, so a reseller can also sell a support
contract with the hardware and SW installation.

Things have changed a bit over the last few years, of course, but I never
wondered why resellers didn't push NetWare over Windows, and I still
don't.  There's no money in it for them.

I've always said that Microsoft was the king of making software that was
"just good enough".  IOW, it's good enough that most people are not
willing to go to the expense of switching, even though there's plenty to
complain about.  They then managed to find the right upgrade price point
that played to the business people - the point at which it's too
expensive *immediately* to switch to something better as opposed to just
getting the upgrades and praying.  Businesses that tend to look more than
a quarter or two out on their financial planning tend to be more likely
to switch; businesses where turnover is fairly high and people are only
concerned about the next couple of quarters' worth of spending are less
likely to switch.

Jim