POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I miss this : Re: I miss this Server Time
11 Oct 2024 15:18:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I miss this
From: Darren New
Date: 24 Oct 2007 14:34:23
Message: <471f902f@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v7 wrote:
>> If you want a realistic treatment, read "A Boy And His Tank."  Anyone
>> outside the armored vehicles within about 300 meters was toast.
>
> I read somewhere that if you were to fire a "bullet" at near-light
> speeds, it would be more like bein irradiated with "lead radiation" than
> being hit by a solid object...

Well, in an atmosphere, it would be like being hit by an explosion, as
you pile up all the air in front of it. Plus, don't forget all that nice
gamma-burst radiation. (The railguns in the story actually had to fire
for a few thousand rounds to punch a hole in the atmosphere so the
needles wouldn't just vaporize.)

> But anyway, even without relativity, the recoil would be absurd.

Yep. If it can go thru a concrete wall coming out the front, the stock
can certainly break your shoulder. I mean, the big guns on a battle ship
will roll the ship in the water, and there's a serious problem with
modern tanks getting rolled over if they're traveling fast when they
fire a shell a couple miles, even if it's only a sabot.

> Well... technically a railgun (not to be confused with a coilgun) fires
> projectiles using electrical propolsion. There's nothing in the
> definition about how fast. ;-)

True. But to get the electrical propultion to work, the projectile needs
to be pretty small, which means it needs to go pretty fast. Otherwise
it's more of a thrower than a firearm. :-)

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     Remember the good old days, when we