POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I miss this : Re: I miss this Server Time
11 Oct 2024 15:18:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I miss this
From: Orchid XP v7
Date: 24 Oct 2007 13:41:23
Message: <471f83c3$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:

>> although the basic premise for the gun is a real one,
>
> Sure. You try holding a weapon that fires something at relativistic speeds.
>
> If you want a realistic treatment, read "A Boy And His Tank."  Anyone
> outside the armored vehicles within about 300 meters was toast.

I read somewhere that if you were to fire a "bullet" at near-light
speeds, it would be more like bein irradiated with "lead radiation" than
being hit by a solid object...

But anyway, even without relativity, the recoil would be absurd.

>> or the dubious claim that it can fire projectiles at near lightspeed
>
> That's what a railgun is for.

Well... technically a railgun (not to be confused with a coilgun) fires
projectiles using electrical propolsion. There's nothing in the
definition about how fast. ;-)