POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : A question about sss implementation in Blender : Re: A question about sss implementation in Blender Server Time
31 Jul 2024 04:25:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A question about sss implementation in Blender
From: Jan Dvorak
Date: 24 Oct 2007 05:23:57
Message: <471f0f2d$1@news.povray.org>

http://www-static.cc.gatech.edu/grads/t/Sarah.Tariq/a_practical_model_for_subsurface.html

> Yes. I also have a work and I'm out of my house from 7am to 20pm. I have
> also a little child of one year old. But in spite of this I'm trying to
> develop a patch that allows to use media ii such a way that can model sss.
> I'm trying to do this adding a new pattern that can be used in density
> contest. DF3 files could be used, but they need a double pass to render and
> an external program. If my idea will be OK, I hove to model a density
> pattern that grows exponentially with the (minimal) distance from a generic
> surface. It's just an aid to avoid df3 alternative. I've already talked of
> these topics in other posts. Obviously rendering time grows up a lot.
>
> I'm already at a good point of developement and I've already obtained good
> results. Unfortunately not always I've found a sufficient support in this
> forum. So I had to study and debug by my own. Anyway thanks to everyone
> that have helped me.
>
> Antonio
>
> P.S. The source code of Sarah Tariq is not available. Can anyone try to
> contact her?

I thought that the skin has a constant density that is quite high plus
probably some rough surface (epidermis) over it and even inserting some
bones.
You can use any function or pattern as the media density; working out
the function itself is probably impossible if you are using meshes.