POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : ANN: New, open-source, free software rendering system for physically correc= : Re: ANN: New, open-source, free software rendering system for physically correc= Server Time
11 Oct 2024 15:21:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ANN: New, open-source, free software rendering system for physically correc=
From: Ross
Date: 23 Oct 2007 17:56:57
Message: <471e6e29$1@news.povray.org>
news:471e6858@news.povray.org...
> Gilles Tran <gitran_nospam_@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
> > >  I don't remember seeing even one single post suggesting some concrete
> > > rendering algorithm idea which could be implemented in povray.
>
> > My point exactly :)
>
>   I don't think you meant that point with the same meaning as I did...
>
> > With all the developers currently discussing the future
> > of POV-Ray, the major selling point of a renderer (i.e. rendering
quality)
> > is mysteriously absent. And when one person dares showing up with some
> > interesting ideas and a working piece of software, the poor guy gets
told
> > off because he *** gasp *** made the mistake of pressing twice on the
send
> > key.
>
>   I think POV-Ray needs new algorithms which will make it produce prettier
> pictures *faster*, not slower. You said it yourself that the algorithms
used
> in that program may produce cool results, but you could take a trip around
> the world in a boat before the image is ready.
>
>   I'm not saying POV-Ray couldn't benefit from this. I'm saying that
POV-Ray
> would benefit *more* from algorithms which make it faster, and thus they
> should have a higher priority.

Would it? Has research been done? Or is this just, as Colbert says,
truthiness?

Even while computers continue to get faster and cheaper?

As a hypothetical example, what if media was ommited from 3.5 becaues it was
too slow? Think of all the nice pictures we would have missed. Here we would
be still using 3.1's implementation. Or we would be elsewhere using
something else.

Yet people dealt with the slowness because it helped improve scenes.