POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : ANN: New, open-source, free software rendering system for physically correc= : Re: ANN: New, open-source, free software rendering system for physically correc= Server Time
11 Oct 2024 15:22:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ANN: New, open-source, free software rendering system for physically correc=
From: Ross
Date: 23 Oct 2007 17:48:39
Message: <471e6c37@news.povray.org>
news:471e4849@news.povray.org...
> Ross <rli### [at] speakeasynet> wrote:
> > for example, this one could
> > rock my socks off:
>
> > "render translucent objects with heterogeneous scattering properties"
> > http://www.pbrt.org/gallery/dragon_subsurf.png
>
>   The algorithm used to create that picture might be cool and all, but
> somehow that precise example picture doesn't excite me a lot. It somehow
> fails to look photorealistic.
>
> --
>                                                           - Warp

If you're simply saying that it is obviously computer generated, who cares?

So ignore the picture and think of the possibilities. I do think the image
is exciting precisely because the way it's rendered, it looks like some sort
of crystal that has been crushed, cracked or has impurities in it. I don't
know of an easy way to do that to an arbitrary object in povray. Do you? If
so, i'd like to see an example.